How vulnerable is the socio-ecological system (SES) of the North Sea to tipping points? And which solutions and measures can be found to counteract unwanted changes?
In the SeaUseTip project we want to:
- identify mechanisms leading to tipping points in the composition of the fish community
- uncover ecological feedbacks that stabilize different ecosystem regimes
- identify and quantify the consequences of ecological tipping points for the economic and socio-cultural subsystems
- identify and quantify links and feedbacks between ecological, economic and socio-cultural subsystems that determine the vulnerability of the North Sea SES to tipping points
- develop operational measures for ecosystem-based management that reduce vulnerabilities and have the potential to counteract unwanted changes in the ecosystem